There is no end to the activities that make us look and feel productive. Throughout the day, we can occupy just about every minute of our time with something to do. But, how does being busy offer us much in terms of a meaningful or rewarding life?
If you find yourself plodding through the monotony of daily drudgery, then it’s time to tweak your life. To change your course to one that is more fulfilling, gratifying and enriching, discover a purpose-driven life.
What is the value of having a purpose?
Purpose is the motivation required to guide life decisions, create a value-based life, stimulate goals, provide a sense of direction, and establish meaning. It is a reason for getting up in the morning and for having a sense of fulfillment and passion about living. People who have a purpose understand who they are and what drives them.
A life purpose will differ from person to person. In some instances, it might be connected to a person’s spiritual or religious beliefs or responsibilities to loved ones. In others, it might be centered around a career or another form of meaningful vocation. In the course of a lifetime, individual purposes are likely to vary or shift as a person moves from one passage to another.
What is your purpose in life?
The quest to discover one’s life purpose takes careful thought and soul searching. It requires an individual to keep an open mind to a plethora of options and to carefully reflect on a choice that is perfect for him or her.
To begin the process, ask yourself the following questions.
- Who are you?
- What do you love to do?
- What are you good at?
- What makes you feel fulfilled?
- How might your purpose benefit society?
Note: Your best approach is to create a life purpose that is meaningful and gratifying to you and beneficial to others.
How do you pursue your life purpose?
(1) Once you come up with a potential life purpose, write it down in one or two sentences as a reminder. Keep your written statement in a place that you can easily access and read. Your purpose statement can be something as easy as “Inspiring and empowering others to live and age well.”
(2) Be passionate about your purpose, and it will always be your driving force.
(3) Establish beliefs and values that align with your purpose in life. Hold yourself to the highest standards as a model for others to emulate.
(4) Balance your daily routine so that you can dedicate adequate time to address all key facets of your life.
(5) Establish a network of loyal and caring friends and family members to guide and support you with your life purpose.
(6) Set priorities that will enable you to accomplish your purpose without getting off track.
(7) Take time to nurture and care for your physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. In doing so, you will be in the best possible position to maximize your purpose.
(8) Find your inner peace and be content with who and what you are as reflected in your purpose-driving life.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching. – Oscar Wilde
Written by: Patricia K. Flanigan, Smart Strategies for Successful Living
Patricia K. Flanigan has worked in higher education for over 28 years. She holds a doctoral degree in Organizational Leadership from the University of La Verne as well as a M.A. in Latin American Studies and B.A. in Anthropology from the University of California, Los Angeles. Before retiring and moving to Idaho in 2015, she served as the dean of online education and learning resources at Saddleback College, a large community college in Southern California. She currently consults in higher education, volunteers for AARP, writes for a local magazine, and serves as an Affiliate Faculty member at Boise State University and on the Board for LEARN Idaho. Since February 2017, she has been the founding director for Smart Strategies for Successful Living, a community-based website designed to promote quality aging. As an educator, her focus is to inspire others to live and age well.