If you could only rewrite your past, what would you do to minimize the experiences that still haunt you today? How would you use your hindsight to craft a history with less pain and sorrow?
While rewriting our past is impossible, most of us can move on from painful memories over time. We have adapted to whatever consequences ensued and, in many cases, come out ahead. However, there are a select few traumas that continuously disturb our dreams and thoughts despite being completely over and done.
Whenever these memories began to surface, convert them into something positive by counting your blessings for the following:
(1) You made it through the trauma.
(2) Your present life is filled with remarkable possibilities.
(3) You are stronger and more resilient than you were before.
(4) You have a new perspective on what it takes to succeed.
(5) You have learned invaluable lessons that will serve you well in the present and future.
(6) You have gained a greater sense of self and understanding of others.
(7) You can more skillfully choose which direction to take in life.
(8) You have the power to create a story worth living.
So, release your negative memories with a smile as you count your blessings for evolving into a better version of your former self.
Written by: Patricia K. Flanigan, Smart Strategies for Successful Living
Patricia K. Flanigan has worked in higher education for over 28 years. She holds a doctoral degree in Organizational Leadership from the University of La Verne as well as a M.A. in Latin American Studies and B.A. in Anthropology from the University of California, Los Angeles. Before retiring and moving to Idaho in 2015, she served as the dean of online education and learning resources at Saddleback College, a large community college in Southern California. She currently consults in higher education, volunteers for AARP, writes for a local magazine, and serves as an Affiliate Faculty member at Boise State University and on the Board for LEARN Idaho. Since February 2017, she has been the founding director for Smart Strategies for Successful Living, a community-based website designed to promote quality aging. As an educator, her focus is to inspire others to live and age well.